Facebook announced on friday that it will launch a new video chat feature called “Messenger Rooms” which is similar to zoom but with more features than zoom.
One of the major difference between the new messenger rooms and zoom is that facebook’s messenger rooms can allow far more people ( up to 50 ) to join at once for free.
The release of messenger room comes after facebook revealed that its social media platform has been receiving major increase in calls and video chatting on its platforms throughout the coronavirus pandemic.
facebook’s Messenger rooms features
- Available on Facebook’s core social network and its Messenger app
- Doesn’t require participants to have a Facebook account
- Allow video chats among as many as 50 people
- Chats will be free with no time limit
- Users will be able to create a “room” from any of Facebook’s products, including WhatsApp and Instagram.
Facebook Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg said that the goal of messenger room is-s a group video product that feels more social, and less corporate than what’s currently available.
He further added that People in Messenger Rooms will be able to use Facebook’s augmented reality filters, or jump between chats to visit different groups of friends, an effort to create “spontaneity and serendipity,